eISSN: 2359-6724 | pISSN: 1981-7061
About the Journal
Focus and Scope
The Brazilian Journal of Biosystems Engineering (BIOENG) encourages the publication of original articles that present theoretical, experimental, computational advances and innovations in the areas of agricultural and environmental systems, bringing applications for the sustainable development of agricultural and animal biosystem productions. BIOENG journal publishes interdisciplinary scientific articles and prioritizes issues related to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations (UN).
BIOENG aims to publish:
- Original Scientific Articles, related to the areas of knowledge of Biosystems Engineering;
- Review papers, which will be included when requested from specialists by the Editor. We emphasize the need to include a critical view of the authors, inserting their work into the theme and evaluating them in relation to the state of the art at the particular location and abroad;
- Technical Notes on new methodologies and partial results, whose originality justifies quick publication. In this case, the limit is six pages, including tables, figures and references.
Peer Review Process
Manuscripts submitted to the journal that follow the “Instructions to authors” are forwarded for revision by at least two reviewers who are experts in the topic discussed (double-blind). After the review, whose anonymous character is kept throughout the process, manuscripts are sent to the Editor, who will decide on the publication. Rejected manuscripts, subject to reformulation, may be re-submitted after suggested corrections, as a new submission, starting another evaluation process. Manuscripts subject to restructuration will be re-evaluated by reviewers. Manuscripts sent to authors for review must be returned to the Editors within a maximum of one month, otherwise the process will be closed. All manuscript revisions must be accompanied by a letter specifying the changes made to the original document. These changes must also be indicated directly in the manuscript. Accepted and published manuscripts will be the property of the Journal, with all copyright reserved.
BIOENG performs plagiarism analysis in submissions and in all approved articles. The Journal seeks to detect problems of plagiarism, self-plagiarism, insufficient paraphrasing and inappropriate citations. BIOENG adopts the Turnitin system to identify plagiarism.
QUARTERLY (March, June, September, December)
Open Access Policy
This journal offers immediate free and open access to its content, following the principle that making scientific knowledge freely available to the public provides higher global democratization of knowledge.
Article Processing Charges (APC)
This Journal charges the following fees to authors: for researchers from Latin America, the amount of R$100.00 BRL (reais) will be charged and, for authors from other countries, U$$100.00 USD (US dollars). Payment can be made via bank deposit:
Banco do Brasil - 001
Checking account: 14,472-X
Account Holder: FEPAF – Agricultural and Forestry Studies and Research Foundation
Please send proof of deposit to the journal by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For international payments, contact the BIOENG Journal.
The Brazilian Journal of Biosystems Engineering (BIOENG) was created in 2007 by Prof. Dr. Irenilza de Alencar Nääs, and remained at the Technology Center (CT) at University of Campinas (UNICAMP) until 2009. From 2010 onwards, the Journal was filled at the Faculty of Agricultural Engineering (FEAGRI) under the responsibility of Prof. Dr. Cláudio Bianor Sverzut with the assistance of Prof. Dr. Daniella Jorge de Moura, Editor and Associate Editor, respectively. With the creation of the Biosystems Engineering course at School of Sciences and Engineering, Tupã, São Paulo State University (Unesp), the Journal became headquartered in this unit, under the responsibility of Prof. Dr. Juliane Cristina Forti. Between 2007 and 2013, 158 articles were published, distributed in four-monthly issues. Since 2014, the magazine started to have quarterly numbers. BIOENG is the unique Journal in Latin America that published scientific papers related to Biosystems Engineering, keeping updated and spreading high impact knowledge in the area.
Statement of ethics and good practices in publication
The Brazilian Journal of Biosystems Engineering (BIOENG) is a peer-reviewed journal, committed to ensuring the highest ethical standards in publication. The agreement of all parties involved in the act of publication (Editorial Board, authors and reviewers) regarding the standards of ethical behavior is required. We defend the following principles of the statement of ethics and good practices in publication, based on the Code of Conduct and Standards of Good Practice for Journal Editors of the Committee on Ethics in Publication – COPE, (available at http://publicationethics.org/).
Responsibility of the BIOENG Editorial Board:
- Decide which articles submitted to the journal should be published. This decision is guided by the journal's rules and legal requirements, regarding defamation, copyright violations and plagiarism;
- Guide the invited organizers, authors and reviewers to clarify them about the scientific peer-review process;
- Advise new Editorial Board members on their roles and keep current members up to date on new policies and developments;
- Evaluate articles exclusively on the basis of their academic and intellectual merit, regardless of factors such as: race, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnic origin, religious belief, nationality, political orientation or social class of the authors;
- Ensure that the peer review process for articles is restrictively anonymous, fair and impartial and that all information relating to them remains confidential. Also ensure the protection of the identity of authors and reviewers;
- Ensure an adequate selection of reviewers;
- Develop and maintain a database of relevant reviewers, which is updated based on their performance;
- Ensure that unpublished materials disclosed in a submitted article will not be used in researches carried out by
one of the Editorial Board members without the express consent and documented awareness of the author(s);
- Respond with reasonable action in the case of complaints made about a submitted or published article. If misconduct is suspected, follow the COPE flowcharts, available at http://publicationethics.org/files/Full%20set%20of%20flowcharts.pdf;
- Post corrections, clarifications, retractions and apologies always when necessary.
- Authors of papers resulting from original research must account for the work carried out in a rigorous manner and present an objective discussion of its meaning. The data underlying the investigation must be accurately represented in the article. Fraudulent or intentionally inaccurate statements constitute unethical behavior are unacceptable;
- Authors must not submit the same article simultaneously to others journals. This is an unethical behavior and it will be not tolerated by this Journal;
- Authors must ensure that their work is original and that any work or words from other authors, collaborators or sources have been duly accredited and referenced;
- Authors who submit their work for publication to BIOENG as original articles confirm that they constitute their own contributions, not having been copied or plagiarized from other works, in whole or in part, without the respective source being clearly cited. Authors should cite publications that were decisive in the nature of the reported work;
- Plagiarism constitutes unethical behavior in publishing in all its forms and is unacceptable;
- The authorship of the submitted article must be limited to those who contributed significantly to the conceptualization, project, execution or interpretation of the reported study. All those who participated with significant contributions must be listed as co-authors. In case of other researchers have participado in certain substantial aspects of the research project, they must be recognized and listed in the "Acknowledgements" section.;
- The correspondent author must ensure that all appropriate co-authors are included in the article's list of authors and and that there is a consensus among all co-authors about the approval of the final version and submission of the article for publication;
- Authors must disclose financial or other conflicts of interest that may influence the results or interpretation of their article(s). All sources of financial support must be disclosed;
- When an author discovers a significant error or inaccuracy in their own work, it is mandatory to notify immediately the BIOENG Editorial Board, and cooperates to modify, correct or remove the paper from publication.
Responsibility of the reviewers:
- Scientific peer-review supports the decisions of the BIOENG Editorial Board and, through an editorial communication with the author, can also help the author to improve the article;
- Any reviewer, whom is asked for an opinion and does not feel qualified to analyze the investigation described in the article or knows that his/her evaluation cannot meet the defined deadline, must immediately notify the BIOENG Management to contact alternative reviewers;
- All articles received in the scope of peer review must be treated as confidential documents;
- Any privileged information or ideas obtained through peer review must be kept confidential and cannot be used for personal interests;
- The reviewers must inform the BIOENG Editorial Board if they are aware of any violation of copyright and/or plagiarism by the author;
- Revisions must be observations must be formulated clearly and based on arguments that support them, so that authors can use them to improve scientifically their article;
- The reviewers assess the articles based on their content and regardless of factors such as: race, age, gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, religious belief, nationality, political orientation or social class of authors;
- Reviewers should not consider articles in which they have conflicts of interest resulting from competitive, collaborative or other relationships/links with any of the authors, companies or institutions related to the articles.
- Provide practical support to the BIOENG Editorial Board, so that they can follow the code of conduct established for COPE's scientific journals;
- Guarantee the autonomy of editorial decisions;
- Protect intellectual property and copyrights;
- Ensure that good practices are maintained, taking into account the standards defined above.